 Off-Topic / Debate / 27328
Re: The Guardian unworthy of toilet paper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Avery Christy wrote:
   Am I correct in seeing another fallacy here, not necessarily one on Bennett’s behalf, but more of one in general?

That being that it is instead economics that drives or motivates crime, not race as Freakonomics seems to put forth

Freakonomics puts forth the idea that most crime is caused by the poverty-stricken segment of society (excluding massive corporate fraud, which is pervasive and carried out by the wealthiest segment) and further postulates that most of the abortions that have occurred since Roe v. Wade have prevented additional births within that poverty-stricken segment. The argument, then, is that the decreased crime rate correlates with the increased rate of abortion among the poverty-stricken, which is to say that additional (ie., non-aborted) births may have fomented the crime rate among the poverty-stricken.

Freakonomics makes no claim, as far as I’m aware, regarding the race of those in poverty. That addendum is entirely Bennett’s.

Dave!