 Off-Topic / Debate / 27326
Re: The Guardian unworthy of toilet paper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 02:47:45 GMT

   Case closed

Nevermind that Bennett is pro-life. What a smear. And even the Bush administration runs for cover from political hack fallout. Brutal.

Well, let’s be fair. Bennett’s comments were so hideously ill-considered that only the most far-right of media outlets have come out in support of him. There’s a lot of “what he really meant was” going on post hoc, but the bottom line is what he said, rather than what he may have meant (if, indeed, they are two different things).

Is Bennett a racist? I don’t know. His comment displays, at the very least, a shocking lack of sensitivity to racial issues. It’s hard to avoid the suspicion that such commentary stems from a more deeply held belief. Rush Limbaugh made similarly thoughtless observations re: race as it pertained to Terrell Owens, and he promptly lost his seat at the ESPN table. But Bennett still gets to host his on-air hackfest, if that’s any consolation.

Consider, for example, what would have happened if Howard Dean had opined that we’d be involved in fewer illegal wars if all Republican babies were aborted: he’d have been rightly crucified in the media. Dean could even have said “it would be reprehensible, but we’d still be involved in fewer illegal wars,” but the media wouldn’t care. They would blast him for his ideology-based eugenics agenda for as long as the story would run. Bennett is being held to the same standard.

I’d caution against dismissing this as the work of some far-left media demagogue. Bennett’s meaning came through loud and clear, even if it’s not what he meant to say.

Here’s the audio

And the transcript:

CALLER: I noticed the national media, you know, they talk a lot about the loss of revenue, or the inability of the government to fund Social Security, and I was curious, and I’ve read articles in recent months here, that the abortions that have happened since Roe v. Wade, the lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30-something years, could fund Social Security as we know it today. And the media just doesn’t -- never touches this at all.

BENNETT: Assuming they’re all productive citizens?

CALLER: Assuming that they are. Even if only a portion of them were, it would be an enormous amount of revenue.

BENNETT: Maybe, maybe, but we don’t know what the costs would be, too. I think as -- abortion disproportionately occur among single women? No.

CALLER: I don’t know the exact statistics, but quite a bit are, yeah.

BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don’t know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don’t know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don’t think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don’t think it is either, I don’t think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don’t know. But I do know that it’s true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

So the caller is arguing against abortion based on economics. Bennett refutes him by citing the book Freakonomics, in which the authors observe a drop in crime along with the advent of legalized abortion, speculating that unwanted children who were aborted would have been tomorrow’s criminals. Bennett states how basing an argument on such grounds is unwise, and he continues to argue reductio ad absurdum that arguing against abortion on any other grounds besides moral ones isn’t wise. He never advocates aborting black children; as I mentioned above-- he is staunchly pro-life!

So, for this, the headline reads, “Abort all black babies and cut crime, says Republican”. That is a complete distortion designed to smear and mislead. It’s simply outrageous, if not outright libel.

JOHN