 Off-Topic / Debate / 27324
Re: The Guardian unworthy of toilet paper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:16:16 GMT

   Case closed

Nevermind that Bennett is pro-life. What a smear. And even the Bush administration runs for cover from political hack fallout. Brutal.

Well, let’s be fair. Bennett’s comments were so hideously ill-considered that only the most far-right of media outlets have come out in support of him. There’s a lot of “what he really meant was” going on post hoc, but the bottom line is what he said, rather than what he may have meant (if, indeed, they are two different things).

Is Bennett a racist? I don’t know. His comment displays, at the very least, a shocking lack of sensitivity to racial issues. It’s hard to avoid the suspicion that such commentary stems from a more deeply held belief. Rush Limbaugh made similarly thoughtless observations re: race as it pertained to Terrell Owens, and he promptly lost his seat at the ESPN table. But Bennett still gets to host his on-air hackfest, if that’s any consolation.

Consider, for example, what would have happened if Howard Dean had opined that we’d be involved in fewer illegal wars if all Republican babies were aborted: he’d have been rightly crucified in the media. Dean could even have said “it would be reprehensible, but we’d still be involved in fewer illegal wars,” but the media wouldn’t care. They would blast him for his ideology-based eugenics agenda for as long as the story would run. Bennett is being held to the same standard.

I’d caution against dismissing this as the work of some far-left media demagogue. Bennett’s meaning came through loud and clear, even if it’s not what he meant to say.

Dave!