 Off-Topic / Debate / 22062
  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) "Insisting" is not a word that I think the NRA would use or want you to use. "Insisting" would means that they back mandatory gun safety courses as a precursor to gun ownership, something I don't believe they back (they want no impediments to (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) And scissors, pencils, and LEGO all have a primary function which has nothing to do with the ending or maiming of a life. What is a gun's *primary* function? As soon as you start realizing you can't sit there and say, "Well, such-n-such can (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) But a gun's purpose isn't interently to shoot a person; that's an inferential purpose. By extension, the purpose of a pair of scissors is to cut things, therefore I can cut someone's throat with them, so scissors should be banned. A baseball (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) (snipping rest of silly examples) The primary purpose of a gun is to shoot something - the primary purpose of a handgun is to shoot someone. The reason that they were developed in the first place were to shoot someone. The primary purpose of a (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Hence I didn't say that the inherent purpose of a gun is to shoot someone. However, the 'usual' purpose of a gun *user* is to shoot at someone, either in an act of "defense" or in an act of crime. Maybe to scare, maybe to intimidate, and maybe (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Doh! Well, I guess that's right, but see below: (...) So you're saying that my specious argument (which took up lot of space) and Dave's specious argument (which also took up a lot of space) were of the same spacious specious species? After (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler wrote: <snip> (...) But are you a master debater? Dave K -I says pardon??? (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Okay, but now we're back to "guns don't kill people; people kill people." If you wish to condemn guns based on their "intent," then you can't simply abandon that argument in favor of the user's "'usual' purpose." You seem to be claiming (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Specifically what I said was: "Anyone that tries to take away my constitutionally protected fundamental rights better find a cure for brain lead first." (...) One that recognizes Freedom was purchased in blood. I highly doubt that I will ever (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) I was cutting the other side some slack with my 'diplomatic wording'. It's called being nice to the other side. It is my personal contention that a gun's main purpose is to kill/main someone else in front of the gun, and I have as yet to be (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Psst! Hey Mike, just for an FYI--we're in the 21st century. What worked in 1776 may not work so much right now. But that's just my personal opinion. And I'll point out once again that the 'establishment' has nukes and what else comes with the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Your right but the guns in the other 200ish million homes does. (...) Even a Muskett in everyone's hands would still work. The modern Military can not defend itself from millions of people attacking them in their own bases. (I honestly don't (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) I could not resist to comment: 1-americans must *really* feel lonely, at 1.4 per home! (*) 2-Those 200million guns (or whatever the figure) can never work as one. For starters, no wanna-be-oppressor would be dumb enough not to have a power (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote: <snip> (...) And I don't understand why you have a difficult time grasping the truth. 1776 history shows the differential in technology between the ruling powers and the common man to be rather (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Maybe in Canada but not here in the U.S. (...) The only thing that garuntees the right to vote is the armed citizenry. (...) And won't be so long as we retain the ability to combat such opressors. (...) So long as I am armed my vote can never (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Constant avoidance of the truth does not make the truth go away. A citizen cannot purchase an F22. A citizen cannot have at his or her disposal an ICBM. A citizen can only have, at best, a gun. This makes the differntial rather large. It's the (...) (21 years ago, 17-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) However, fighter jets and ICBMs don't "hold" territory. Just look at what's going on in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Palestine for examples of what an "armed" citizenry might be able to do to resist oppressors. (...) Right now the situation is not (...) (21 years ago, 17-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) A cynic might even claim that the only reason the civil rights movement progressed was that a white minister was killed... See: (URL) (21 years ago, 17-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) And I mentioned that in other countries, an armed citizenry is needed in order for them to make it to the end of a day. Are you saying that America is on par with Afghanistan? That you face the same problems? (...) Cites please. Show me at (...) (21 years ago, 17-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Explain the Civil War (from {either} vantage point). (...) That is an extremely false analogy - is Frank saying that we need to have flintlock rifles and muskets? No, so where does this stuff about candles and dirt come in? Technological (...) (21 years ago, 17-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) My vote has no power at all. The power of the people is derived from their status of being collectively stronger than the military forces of the government. I seriously doubt that will ever need to be used, but so long as the government has (...) (21 years ago, 17-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) Well, call my old man paranoid, but he is convinced the "smaller" nukes just okayed by the Senate are for use "in country." I generally support the right of citizens to be armed at the same level as the professional military, but I think I'll (...) (21 years ago, 18-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...

(...) I think if it actually came to nukes everyone lost already. Of course I happen to think oblivion is better than slavery, but I would still consider that losing. (I may be a little crazy, but I am not stupid.) -Mike Petrucelli (21 years ago, 18-Sep-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)