 Off-Topic / Debate / 22111
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:31:54 GMT

The magical mystical force that's been supposedly working since 1776.  The
magical mystical force that lead to Nixon leaving the white house.  The magical
mystical force that's supposedly the 'bright and shining example' to the world.
It's supposedly your #1 claim to fame.

Explain the Civil War (from {either} vantage point).

Well, the "we the people" who wrote our constitution were pretty well
armed, and were in the process of kicking the pants of the oppressors.
MLK did nothing in comparison to the founding fathers. MLK was a very
good man, but what he did only worked because of the foundation laid 200
years ago.

And we're back to the oppressors from 1776.  It's amazing how you justify your
actions today by saying 'that's what we did back then'.  Your very own rationale
we should go back to candles for lighting and dirt streets and outhouses.  Stop
appealing to 1776 as the reasons for why you want to do what you do today.  Does
your rationale work today?  Emphatically, as shown with all the examples given,
no!  You're not battling England anymore.

That is an extremely false analogy - is Frank saying that we need to have
flintlock rifles and muskets?  No, so where does this stuff about candles and
dirt come in?  Technological advances are not equivalent to conceptual ideas,
and should not be confused as the same thing.

The foundation was laid with the blood of the fathers and framers who stood up
to the tyranny of the king.  They needed their arms to defeat the oppressors,
who, again, had basically the same arms.  What are you standing up for?  Look
around you--your fellow citizens are living under the fear of the gun.  How many
of your fellow Americans have to get shot before you come to your senses.  What
has to happen in your society before you realize that the power of the gun in
your house is only in the taking away of life from those around you.

I'd like to force the unwashed masses to pass gun safety courses before they can
own one, but that's just me.  Then again, if I had a military as innocuous as
Canada's and no Dubya in office I might feel more secure from internal threats!
:-)

America 200 years ago was fundamentally different than America today.  It has
evolved beyond the point of needing guns in the hands of the citizens to protect
itself.  Your vote has more power than your gun.  It's called democracy and it
works.  How do I know?  'Cause I see other countries where guns aren't used and
yet somehow democracy works there.

When they reach 227 years of democracy, let me know.  :-)

-->Bruce<--

(itching to peacefull and democratically depose our Idiot Governor here in
California and replace him with some other idiot)