 Off-Topic / Debate / 22110
Re: PRIORITY TRANSMISSION
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:05:14 GMT

   I just put ZoneAlarm on and it helps a lot when I am dialed in snip (At home I have a hardware firewall, inside my router, between my machines and the cable modem)

In my view you always want both a router and a software firewall behind it.

I just bought a Linksys BEFSR41 at Best Buy for $40 after the mail-in rebate. With a hub the thing expands to something like 50 DHCP/static IP boxes -- more than sufficient for the average home (well, and especially if they were all connecting at the same time via ADSL -- yikes!). The Linksys even has some kind of firmware integrated support for both ZoneAlarm and PC-Cillin -- but I haven’t got that together yet. Those integrated firmware versions are actually a couple of years older than the latest, non-integrated firmware. But you can still do all of this stuff without the integration anyway. Ah, and one other thing about the software firewall -- you can block certain users within your home network from gaining access to your stuff while still having access to their stuff. In my case this means I block my SO from my 3 personal boxes, but at the same time I do give her access to what has become our media server. My SO has actually done things like erased the start button off the taskbar (something I have long tried to figure out how it was even accomplished in the first place!). So yeah, she doesn’t have access to my stuff.

What I like about the software firewall behind the hardware router firewall is the ability to very specifically control traffic out of the machine. I hate it when applications that have nothing to do with the internet try to access the internet all the time (Hello, Windows Explorer!). There’s lots of stuff in there basically acting like Trojan infestations. And that’s also your weakest area of security: from the inside out!

Ixnay!

-- Hop-Frog