 Off-Topic / Debate / 22105
Re: PRIORITY TRANSMISSION
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:31:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:

Oh, another thing on downloads. At work, we supposedly have something
better than cable. Sometimes I think I get better internet
responsiveness at home. Firewalls can really chew into your internet
responsiveness.

Ya, but so can cleaning up after worms and virii! These days, running directly
connected to the internet without some sort of firewall between you and the rest
of the world is not good, in my view. I was running that way for a while and was
getting 2-3 attempted infestations a day, even with the latest patches and
latest scanner sigs. Yuck.

I just put ZoneAlarm on and it helps a lot when I am dialed in or on hotel/free
networks. (At home I have a hardware firewall, inside my router, between my
machines and the cable modem)

Why people feel the need to be vandals by writing virii or worms is certainly
beyond me, except as fodder for another thread here should someone want to start
one.