 Off-Topic / Debate / 22083
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:09:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

snip

   In the end, live (and die) as you see fit, but let the truth be known--your gun in your house isn’t going to prevent politicians form doing what they want.

Your right but the guns in the other 200ish million homes does.

   That may have been the case in 1776ish, but not in 2003.

Even a Muskett in everyone’s hands would still work. The modern Military can not defend itself from millions of people attacking them in their own bases. (I honestly don’t understand why you have difficulty with this concept.)

And I don’t understand why you have a difficult time grasping the truth.

1776 history shows the differential in technology between the ruling powers and the common man to be rather negligible. 2003, that differential is exceedingly large. But that’s a rather parenthetical, though still valid, point.

The real issue is that modern history has shown, in your very own democracy, that the vote, or the ‘power of the people’ can remove people from elected positions. The gun wasn’t needed to oust Nixon. It’s how democracy works. Reliance of guns equates to the power of terror, or tyranny. It’s truth, and it’s one that Koresh didn’t learn, nor, at the rate you’re going, neither will you.

   So the couple million Americans who belong to ‘formally declared’ militia groups (with no government ties except the knowledge they exist) which have nearly equivelent weapons (machine guns, rocket launchers, etc.) would fair very well. Now don’t get me wrong this is a last resort tactic to be sure, but it is the only thing that backs up mere words. You may believe society is above the concept of “survival of the fittest” but if you really take a good look, its not.

I believe in the evolution of society, to attain higher ideals for the citizens of the society. There are countries in the world today that need armed citizens just to make it thru their rough and meager existence--they need their arms for protection and, hopefully, to overthrow their tyrannical opressors. Your country (and mine) aren’t in that group.

You can’t have it both ways--If America is, indeed, the “model of democracy” that it is suppose to believe in so much that it likes forcing said democracy in other parts of the world, then start acting like it. If you don’t beleive in democracy all that much, then admit it and stop trying to push that false ideal that doesn’t seem to be working for you on to other countries.

So in other words, as my pappy used to say, “Put up or shut up”.

Your gun in your house will not save your democracy if your democracy deteriorates. Your vote, or the power of the people, will save your democracy because, wait for it, that’s how democracy is suppose to work.

So lets go thru the reasons why you have a gun in your house: Protection from criminals--not likely if the gun is properly locked up--the criminal isn’t going to wait while you retrieve your gun and ammo and get it all together

Protection from tyranny--Not likely due to the technology differntial between the citizens and the establishment, no matter how you sugar coat it--many of your 200 million fellow citizens do not own guns, and those that do, many may not follow you on your ‘crusade’.

And if you don’t want a tyranny, then excercise your true power as American citizens--the people.

How did a society that gaves us the likes of Martin Luther King, who abhorred violence, also give us “outta my cold dead hands”?

-Mike Petrucelli

P.S. I read in the newspaper a few weeks ago that about 80 percent of domestic gun violence could be directly traced to drug traficking. If that statistic is acurrate... well that is a whole differnt topic.

I talked to my cousin, a retired cop, and he said that in 80-90 percent of his domestic dispute calls, alcohol was involved--at least one of the members of the family was drunk. Again, a whole other topic.

Dave K