 Off-Topic / Debate / 22096
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:22:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Even a Muskett in everyone’s hands would still work. The modern Military can not defend itself from millions of people attacking them in their own bases. (I honestly don’t understand why you have difficulty with this concept.)

And I don’t understand why you have a difficult time grasping the truth.

1776 history shows the differential in technology between the ruling powers and the common man to be rather negligible. 2003, that differential is exceedingly large.

Maybe in Canada but not here in the U.S.

Constant avoidance of the truth does not make the truth go away. A citizen cannot purchase an F22. A citizen cannot have at his or her disposal an ICBM. A citizen can only have, at best, a gun. This makes the differntial rather large. It’s the truth of the matter, and, again, parenthetical, but still a valid point. Giving everyone access to fighter jets and nuclear missles won’t be the answer, either. A weapon in the hands of a citizen is a placebo (in America), and won’t solve the problems facing your country. Guns are a large contributing factor of the problems in your country. Larger weapons will just equate to larger problems--i.e. more people dead or maimed.

   But that’s a rather parenthetical, though still valid, point.

The real issue is that modern history has shown, in your very own democracy, that the vote, or the ‘power of the people’ can remove people from elected positions.

The only thing that garuntees the right to vote is the armed citizenry.

True in 1776, not so much today. Do you carry your sidearm to the voting booth? Do you need to force someone to let you vote with the business end of a gun? I reiterate, Nixon left, without one gun being shot, without one gun being displayed, without *any* threatening action other than the power of the people. It’s what happened and all your talk of guns had *nothing* to do with it.

   The gun wasn’t needed to oust Nixon. It’s how democracy works. Reliance of guns equates to the power of terror, or tyranny. It’s truth, and it’s one that Koresh didn’t learn, nor, at the rate you’re going, neither will you.

   So the couple million Americans who belong to ‘formally declared’ militia groups (with no government ties except the knowledge they exist) which have nearly equivelent weapons (machine guns, rocket launchers, etc.) would fair very well. Now don’t get me wrong this is a last resort tactic to be sure, but it is the only thing that backs up mere words. You may believe society is above the concept of “survival of the fittest” but if you really take a good look, its not.

I believe in the evolution of society, to attain higher ideals for the citizens of the society. There are countries in the world today that need armed citizens just to make it thru their rough and meager existence--they need their arms for protection and, hopefully, to overthrow their tyrannical opressors. Your country (and mine) aren’t in that group.

And won’t be so long as we retain the ability to combat such opressors.

Yes, the armed forces will combat such oppressors. ‘Cause that’s what they’re suppose to do. That’s what they’re trained for. That’s why you have taxes--to pay for the educaiton and enhancement of your combat forces. Again, the truth is your gun in your house does not contribute *in any fashion* to the protection of your country. Guns in homes either do nothing, or are used against family members, or are stolen to be used in crimes against your fellow citizen. These are what your guns in your homes end up doing. Stop pseudo-rationalizing your desire to retain a gun in your home. If you want to keep your gun, just say that. I don’t care if oyu have a gun in your house--just be honest about it and realize that, truthfully, it’s not there for all your ‘high falutin’ ideals’ ‘cause you’re just deceiving yourself. You sound like a smoker rationalizing his cancer stick. All the slick talking in the world isn’t going to change the truth.

The kicker is that with all your talk you convince some people in the next generation, and the ‘sins of the father’ are passed down to subsequent generations, so they’ll beleive the same lies that you do, and again, they’ll be faced with gun problems. It’s like any abusing situation--spouse abuse, alcoholism--you sit there and rationalize it, and the kids see and hear it, and they pick up on it. “This is the way it’s suppose to be!”

   Your gun in your house will not save your democracy if your democracy deteriorates. Your vote, or the power of the people, will save your democracy because, wait for it, that’s how democracy is suppose to work.

So long as I am armed my vote can never be denied.

So long as you are a citizen in a democracy your vote can never be denied. And that, again, has nothing to do with a gun. “Hey Mike, we won’t let you vote in this election!” “Yeah, I’ll just go get my gun and we’ll see about that!” Both sides of that scenario are ludicrous, don’t you think?

So lets go thru the reasons why you have a gun in your house: Protection from criminals--not likely if the gun is properly locked up--the criminal isn’t going to wait while you retrieve your gun and ammo and get it all together

Protection from tyranny--Not likely due to the technology differntial between the citizens and the establishment, no matter how you sugar coat it--many of your 200 million fellow citizens do not own guns, and those that do, many may not follow you on your ‘crusade’.

And if you don’t want a tyranny, then excercise your true power as American citizens--the people.

Where do you think that power comes from? The goodwill of the government?

No, as stated, it comes from, well, the people. “We the people...” It didn’t say “We the people who happen to own guns...” or “We the people who like shooting at folks when things don’t go our way...” I don’t know every second of every moment of MLK’s life, but from what I know, he never carried a gun and he did more for your country than most anyone else in your history. Why? Because he knew the power of the people--a fact that you seem to blatantly ignore so you can hold on to your little security blanket. Security blankets are for 5 year olds. Grow up and face the truth.

How did a society that gaves us the likes of Martin Luther King, who abhorred violence, also give us “outta my cold dead hands”?

-Mike Petrucelli

Dave K