 Off-Topic / Debate / 22065
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:09:49 GMT

   A guns only inherent purpose is to shoot bullets at something.

But a gun’s purpose isn’t interently to shoot a person; that’s an inferential purpose. By extension, the purpose of a pair of scissors is to cut things, therefore I can cut someone’s throat with them, so scissors should be banned. A baseball bat is designed to hit things with tremendous force, therefore I can hit someone’s head with tremendous force, so baseball bats should be banned. Rat poison is used to kill things, therefore I can kill someone with rat poison, therefore rat poison should be banned.

The problem is that an item’s inherent purpose is basically irrelevant to its purpose-in-practice, so it’s difficult to justify the banning of something based on inherent purpose alone.

   It’s irrefutable--less guns, less gun related injuries and deaths.

Alas, that’s an unsubstantiated leap of logic. If you have 100 guns, and 99 of them never fire a shot, but 1 of them is used to kill 100 people, then what’s the value in banning the other 99? In fact, if the other 99 are eliminated, then the person with the remaining 1 gun will be the only one so armed. Your argument is based on the assumption that the incidence of gun violence is equally distributed across the society-wide inventory of guns, and that’s not the case.

Dave!