 Off-Topic / Debate / 22066
Re: Eh, what's a few dollars amongst friends...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:23:06 GMT

   Basically, bottom line, for all your talk of gun-toting yahooness about ‘defending the constitution and freedom’ and all that supposed ‘high ideals’, y’all are nothing but a bunch of sheep.

The two ideas are not really related.

An informed citizenry does not automatically follow just because of the mere existence of civil rights. The existence of civil rights should help one be an informed citizen, but it is in no way a political necessity because of such rights. In fact, the seeming protections afforded by such civil rights might even be said to make the people lazy in defending those very civil rights -- look at Patriot Acts I and II, it’s as if the people thought they could protect something fundamental by abandoning it to the whims of the current white house administration. There’s some kind of pretense that just because it’s written in the Constitution that we can someday return to our civil rights. You know, when this all important “terrorist” crisis -- requiring all of our energy and resources -- is over. Straight out of Orwell’s 1984 is this never-ending war on terror.

And yeah, the $87 billion -- I can think of better ways to spend it “in country” instead of wasting it on a foreign soil against an imagined enemy or just dropping it into the waiting coffers of the administration’s favorite private corporations.

For the Nth time: this is not america -- certainly NOT the U.S. of my political forebearers. We are being idealogically, and plain old economically, swindled by the far right -- and even the near middle left pretends not to notice.

It’s not precisely that we are sheep, but that we are too few. A recent poll suggested that something like 70% of americans STILL believe in a connection between A.Q. and S. H. -- I mean, seriously, how much dumber can the average american be and still walk and chew gum at the same time? Perhaps they can’t...?

-- Richard