 Off-Topic / Debate / 22060
22059  |  22061
Subject:
Eh, what's a few dollars amongst friends...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:35:51 GMT

I think that Al was too lenient when he says "Lies and the Lying Liars who tell
Them--A fair and balanced look at the right"

Perspective is everything.  From the DU website:
(http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/)

"
Ah, remember when we were going to get Saddam Hussein, find his weapons of mass
destruction, pay for the war using nothing but Iraqi oil revenues, and the only
thing getting in our way would be the Iraqi people throwing flowers at us? Yes,
those were the days. Unfortunately things haven't quite gone according to the
neo-con plan, and now we can't find Saddam or his weapons, the Iraqi people are
blowing us and each other up with car bombs, and Our Great Leader had to make a
groveling speech to the nation last week asking for another $87 billion to
rebuild Iraq. And that's just for one year. That brings the total budget for the
war - so far - to $166 billion. But pay no attention to the enormous $550
billion budget hole we're slowly digging, if another $87 billion is what's
needed, then another $87 billion is what we shall pay. Just to put things in
perspective, $87 billion is three times the amount Bush intends to spend on
education this year, twice the budget for Homeland Security, and ten times the
budget for the Environmental Protection Agency. To put it further into
perspective, the 1991 Gulf War cost the United States about $20 billion total.
And to put things even further into perspective, ask yourself how much of that
$87 billion is going to go directly into Halliburton and the Carlyle Group's
back pockets. Let's face it, Bush and Cheney probably don't even care about next
year's election - in a few short years the CEO president has already managed to
set himself up for the world's biggest golden handshake.
"

$20 b for the first one.  So far $166 b for the second one.

I think I may have heard this somewhere before--Thank God I'm not American.  Oh
wait, that is different, but I think it's a better rendition.

Again I ask if the conservatives have a website akin to this one.

Dave K