 Off-Topic / Debate / 22069
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:43:53 GMT

   A guns only inherent purpose is to shoot bullets at something.

But a gun’s purpose isn’t interently to shoot a person; that’s an inferential purpose.

Hence I didn’t say that the inherent purpose of a gun is to shoot someone. However, the ‘usual’ purpose of a gun *user* is to shoot at someone, either in an act of “defense” or in an act of crime. Maybe to scare, maybe to intimidate, and maybe to kill or maim.

And we’re back to the intended and inherent function of an object. You can get into your semantics all you want, but scissors aren’t coming off the assembly line with the intent to kill or maim people, or be used as objects of intimidation. A gun, however, is. It is the only function under discussion.

If you mention hunting or ‘at the range’ as reasonable alternatives, then I’ll gladly grant you that function, as long as the guns stay at the range or at the hunting refuge when you’re done.

   By extension, the purpose of a pair of scissors is to cut things, therefore I can cut someone’s throat with them, so scissors should be banned. A baseball bat is designed to hit things with tremendous force, therefore I can hit someone’s head with tremendous force, so baseball bats should be banned. Rat poison is used to kill things, therefore I can kill someone with rat poison, therefore rat poison should be banned.

Again, you’re arguing about “Hey, Timmy can do this so I should be able to as well” The differnce between baseball bats, scissors, and rat poison, is that their intended purpose is for something other than killing your fellow man.

   The problem is that an item’s inherent purpose is basically irrelevant to its purpose-in-practice, so it’s difficult to justify the banning of something based on inherent purpose alone.

If you wish to go into the purpose-in-practice of a gun, this cements the issue with greater clarity--In light of all the mayhem and death guns do in society--Barring statistics, guns in homes are responsible for the maimings and deaths of relatives. Guns in homes get stolen to be used in crimes. It’s difficult to go through a day without reading or viewing some sort of crime in which a gun was a prominent factor. Hostage situations, domestic disputes, robberies, etc. Someone usually ends up with a bullet lodged somewhere in their body. And then there’s Mike who speaks of people better be ready for ‘lead in the brain’. What kind of society talks like that?

   It’s irrefutable--less guns, less gun related injuries and deaths.

Alas, that’s an unsubstantiated leap of logic. If you have 100 guns, and 99 of them never fire a shot, but 1 of them is used to kill 100 people, then what’s the value in banning the other 99? In fact, if the other 99 are eliminated, then the person with the remaining 1 gun will be the only one so armed. Your argument is based on the assumption that the incidence of gun violence is equally distributed across the society-wide inventory of guns, and that’s not the case.

Not really--my arguement is based on reading the paper and watching the news. These gun related incidents are not caused by 1 gun distributed across 100 killings, whilst 99 guns are sitting forlorn in a locked cupboard somewhere. Your flawed logic is much akin to certain acquaintences of mine who say, “Well, my papa smoked until he died of old age!” Smoking kills. Not every single individual to be sure, but it does kill. It kills, imho, more than the worth of the smoke.

Just as guns kill. Dave! Your gun in your particular house may never be used in a violent way, but that does not mean that 98 other guns out of 100 that are in the homes around you will not as well be used to kill/maim.

It is the case--if you lessen the number of guns, you lessen the incidents with guns. And if you get rid of them all, well that would take a total change in mindset...

Dave!

Dave K