 Off-Topic / Debate / 22072
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:07:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

A guns only inherent purpose is to shoot bullets at something.

  But a gun's purpose isn't [interently] to shoot a [person;] that's an
inferential purpose.  By extension, the purpose of a pair of scissors is to
cut things, therefore I can cut someone's throat with them, so scissors
should be banned...
(snipping rest of silly examples)

The primary purpose of a gun is to shoot something - the primary purpose of a
handgun is to shoot some[one].  The reason that they were developed in the
first place were to shoot some[one].

Doh!  Well, I guess that's right, but see below:

The primary purpose of a scissors is not as a weapon - it makes a really bad
one (I used the example of a pencil for a reason).  You can press a lot of
things into service as a weapon, but that is not their primary purpose.  You
are basically using the specious argument that David just pointed out was
specious.

So you're saying that my specious argument (which took up lot of space) and
Dave's specious argument (which also took up a lot of space) were of the same
spacious specious species?

After the laughter's died down, I continue:

I guess what I'm getting at is that an object's primary purpose isn't paramount
when assessing the object's ban-ability, or at least that the primary purpose
can't be cited as a catchall for condemning (or not-condemning) a particular
object or class of objects.

Dave!

As a debater, I'm sometimes a master comedian...