 Off-Topic / Debate / 22081
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:10:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Your right but the guns in the other 200ish million homes does.

I could not resist to comment:

1-americans must *really* feel lonely, at 1.4 per home! (*)
2-Those 200million guns (or whatever the figure) can never work as one. For starters, no wanna-be-oppressor would be dumb enough not to have a power base, read “support group”, one that was big enough to complement the (loyal?) military. So, in essence, the thought that every citizen-owned gun could be put to use if freedom was at stake is a bliss. And then, all 200mln would have to feel that the timing was right simultaneously. At practically every time in the more recent american history there have been groups claiming the governments were commiting some sort of treacherous action, but none was ever able to convince everyone else to rebell. Face it, the average person, and not just americans, prefer to sit in their sofa and watch the telly rather than learn about their rights/defend them verbally/defend them at all.

You’ll be luckier in trusting the armed forces commanders not to follow unconstitutional/immoral orders. Or the soldiers, if the commanders are tempted. Previous experiences thoughout the world where citizens seized power have always ended either with the army siding with the people OR with anarchy that had eventually to be ended by the army.

Pedro

(*) - I believe you meant guns instead of homes? ;-)