 Off-Topic / Debate / 20169
Re: Iran: For peace in the region? No! For a piece *of* the region...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:16:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:

my opinion about Iran's democracy is based off a college course,

Which of course has no bias...

The History of
Central Asia (inc. Iran and Afghanistan).. so I'm unable to cite any websites.
but somehow I think the Economist might be just a tad biased towards the US
and against the Iranians (who nationalized all foreign industries in 1979).

But NPR is not biased toward the US, if anything, it's biased against, and
has the same information, so what IF the Economist is biased in favor of
economic systems that actually work and against ones that don't???

this isn't a discussion about economic systems.. but if i recall correctly,
Iran is feeding, clothing, and housing most its people.. any other economic
information is arguable at best.  the Economist, i assume.. i don't nor plan
to read it regularly, is about those who want to work within capitalism (and
probably profit, rather than suffer from it) and they are pre-disposed to
believe anything else "doesn't work"

Iran is a threat to peace everywhere, democracy or not.

whoa.. a comment like that needs some evidence.

Funding for terrorists... would that count? Trying to get nuclear weapons...
Would that count?

US has funded terrorists (including Osama), and currently has nuclear
weapons.  terrorists aren't good, sure.  But if trying to get nuclear
weapons is so bad, why is owning more than anyone else not bad?  and if
you're gonna say something like Iran is a rogue state, they haven't thumbed
world opinion the same way the US has.

The main use of nuclear weapons so far has been to deter the usage of nukes
by other powers.. Ie russia got nukes to keep us from nuking them.  That is
why both N.Korea and Iran want them (if Iran does in fact want them) -
bargaining chips against US lead global-economic domination.

for example, how may military
conflicts has Iran been involved in since 1979? aside from being invaded by
Saddam and the US.

When was Iran invaded by the US? I may have missed that. There was a botched
hostage rescue operation, yes (remember that?... Peace loving Iranians
stormed the US embassy and held a bunch of Americans hostage??) but an
invasion? I'll need a cite for that.

Iraq's primary ally during the Iraqi-Iran War was the US. The US supplied it
with a variety of weapons, including many chemical weapons.  Supplying a
combatant makes a country a implied agressor, so while US troops never
entered Iran, US products, money, and ill will did.

And I never said the Iranians were peace-loving, or even that nice.  But in
all fairness, before the Revolution the US was backing, supporting the
deeply oppressive regime of the Shah, and trained the hated SAVAK
intelligence with CIA money.  Taking the embassy hostage may not have been
nice, but we are talking about a war here.

Oddly enough, none of the embassy employees could speak Farsi, the language
of Iran.  Somehow I find that quite odd.

-Crackhead Lenny