 Off-Topic / Debate / 20184
Re: Iran: For peace in the region? No! For a piece *of* the region...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:11:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

Turkish voting of "no to US deployment" is mostly based on internal politics
(the governing party AKP has a voting base mostly consisting of
fundelmatalists, which are against US, by definition), the famous Turkish
unability to organize, and your diplomats' tedious patronizing style (yes,
we have some patriotizm, too).

US diplomatic ineptitude cannot be discounted, but the main reason we are
hearing here for the Turkish parliament voting the way they did is pressure
from Germany and, especially, France, in the form of a threat to block
Turkey joining the EU. (and a reminder of how they held up NATO organizing
to aid Turkey, prior to the commencement of the war).

It was the opposition that voted against it, as a unanimous bloc, or so we
are told.

I never saw such news in any part of the media during the period. It should
be another case of intentional disinformation, either in your country or
mine. Having both Fox News/CNN and NTV/Haber Turk (national news channels),
and watching them about this whole conflict from time to time, the
comparison tells me it probably yours.

By the way, they didn't lose the vote actualy. The only problem is that kind
of warlike decision requires 2/3 of the whole assembly, and althogh their
vote count was much more than half, it was just 5 (if I recall correctly)
votes shorter than 2/3.

Actually the decision was a surprise for everybody including the government,
since their head count in the assembly as a party was much more than 2/3.
This is why I'm saying that it is basicly related to the voters base (you
can tell how much the fundemantalists against about this, and US, just by
looking at their supportive media) and our habit of not to organize (they
could have forced a group decision as a party, but they didn't). Almost all
of the "no" voters explained that they were thinking they wouldn't be in
majority, so there was no harm in saying no and looking good in the eyes of
their electors.

I don't believe they care much about EU, either. They are the
fundementalists, and by difinition, they are basicly against anything
"west". Did you hear that We are about to agree on acting together with
Syria and Iran (our long time enemies befoe AKP) against any Kurdish attempt
to establish a saperate country? We are living in strange times.

Selçuk