 Off-Topic / Debate / 20165
Re: Iran: For peace in the region? No! For a piece *of* the region...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:27:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:

my opinion about Iran's democracy is based off a college course,

Which of course has no bias...

The History of
Central Asia (inc. Iran and Afghanistan).. so I'm unable to cite any websites.
but somehow I think the Economist might be just a tad biased towards the US
and against the Iranians (who nationalized all foreign industries in 1979).

But NPR is not biased toward the US, if anything, it's biased against, and
has the same information, so what IF the Economist is biased in favor of
economic systems that actually work and against ones that don't???

Iran is a threat to peace everywhere, democracy or not.

whoa.. a comment like that needs some evidence.

Funding for terrorists... would that count? Trying to get nuclear weapons...
Would that count?

for example, how may military
conflicts has Iran been involved in since 1979? aside from being invaded by
Saddam and the US.

When was Iran invaded by the US? I may have missed that. There was a botched
hostage rescue operation, yes (remember that?... Peace loving Iranians
stormed the US embassy and held a bunch of Americans hostage??) but an
invasion? I'll need a cite for that.