 Off-Topic / Debate / 20158
Re: Iran: For peace in the region? No! For a piece *of* the region...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:27:26 GMT

"This confirmed all of our suspicions that the Iranians are not our friends
and not for peace in the region. They are in fact for a piece of the
region," one U.S. intelligence official told United Press International.

oorr.. perhaps they don't want the US army so close to their border.. hmm?  And
what exactly is the USA doing in the area? removing a government hostile to us,
and replacing it with one friendly.  Iran is interesting in doing the same
thing.  How can we say they're bad and we're good?  This article assumes Iran
is working only for its own devious ends.. but isn't the USA as well?

man, thank god american espionage is so wide spread. we should have known they
had no interest in peace. why in the world would they want us to not have a
huge army right next to their border when we've had a history of animosity
(hey, didn't we arm Saddam so he could kill Iranians?).  I'm sure Iran views
this war as step one to invading their country, and obstructing out war effort
is quite plausibly a defensive action.

but wait.  the USA only does what is good and kind to everyone.  Why would Iran
think we wanted to invade them? oh yeah, that axis of evil thing.

And on a last note.. did you know that Iran is one of the few working
democracies in the region?  Saudi Arabia, Syria, Jordan, Afghanistan, Pakistan,
Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco.. all are ruled by dictators.  The only
other "democracy" is Turkey, which has a history of outlawing certain political
parties, and maintaining some pretty oppressive laws (all meant to de-emphasize
Islam as a political force - but including the outlawing of purely religious
Islamic practices.. like wearing a beard or the hijab).

yep. america=peace, and goodness for all.
iran=just proving their evil-ness.

-crackhead lenny