 Off-Topic / Debate / 20229
Re: Iran: For peace in the region? No! For a piece *of* the region...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:17:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:

And on a last note.. did you know that Iran is one of the few working
democracies in the region?

Um, not exactly a democracy. You may want to do a little more research. For
starters, see this article, particularly the illustration of how power
actually works:

http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_id=1522038

The entire special report that this is a part of is quite good.

Hmm, is there a similar report that doesn't have a cost to view?

Er, whoops. I'm an Economist subscriber (print edition) so it's no cost to me.

But the point of the article, and the diagram in particular, is that Iran is
more of a theocracy that has some elected (but basically powerless)
appendages, than a democracy...

The modernisers in Iran were gaining serious ground until Bush came along with
his "axis of evil" nonsense.

Scott A