 Off-Topic / Debate / 20185
Re: Iran: For peace in the region? No! For a piece *of* the region...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:40:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:

And on a last note.. did you know that Iran is one of the few working
democracies in the region?  Saudi Arabia, Syria, Jordan, Afghanistan, Pakistan,
Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco.. all are ruled by dictators.  The only
other "democracy" is Turkey, which has a history of outlawing certain political
parties, and maintaining some pretty oppressive laws (all meant to de-emphasize
Islam as a political force - but including the outlawing of purely religious
Islamic practices.. like wearing a beard or the hijab).

I would not be so quick about declaring Iran as democracy. Do you know
anything about how "oppressive" Islam can be? I don't think any "Islamic
Republic" can be mentioned as a democracy of any kind. ý don't think any
gowernment based on religious fundemantals can be mentioned as a democracy
of any kind actually.

I'm not saying that we have it in Turkey, but at least we have something
similar, and I have too many Iranian friends who came here in Turkey for
univesty education, and never returned back.

We don't have any rules about not having beard and hijab, by the way. It is
just for state owned company employees (Do you know Iran has rules for
"having them"? Yes, it was mandatory to have hijabs for women in Iran, and
it is still a sensitive subject if not a forced thing anymore).

If you talk about how bad our democracy is, do it correctly. Not having any
right to have a beard or hijab if I want to work as a state servant is not
my bigest problem related to our poor democracy.

Selçuk