 Off-Topic / Debate / 14111
Re: On the veracity of statistics in general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:31:22 GMT

Here's my thinking. Statistics have a tendency to self perpetuate. We all
know that to be true, Someone quotes them and gets cited and before you know
it they are enshrined as gospel. Statistics also have a tendency to get
cited out of context in order to make various points. Take the
healthcare/crime statistics about various crimes/causes of deaths/injuries
that are being bandied about here. Different factions here are citing the
same statistics to prove different things.

Many organisations are highly political. How likely is it that they always
rigorously validate every statistic they hear, especially if it happens to
fit their preconceived notions? How EASY is it to rigorously validate a
statistic anyway, if it's a statistic about a closed society?

That's why I take UN statistics, in particular, with larger grains of salt
than most, because the UN is more highly political than just about any
organization ever in existance. I'd say people that don't use similar
scepticism are naiive or foolish or deliberately misconstruing things for
their own ends.

I agree with all of this, but even still tend to accept statistics unless I
have a reason to not.  I suspect that the UN rarely lies in it's reporting of
statistics.  I think accidental inaccuracies are more worrisome.  In the page
Scott recently cited that compared death rates among nations, I suspect that
data was the result of fairly non-rigorous survey.  Maybe even conducted by the
individual nations rather than by a central authority at the UN.  (This
methodological info might have been present on another page, I didn't go
digging.)  If so, then the validity of the numbers from nation to nation is
fairly questionable given differences in national attitude, collection
approaches, reliability, etc.

The number of times a statistic is cited in the media, while an interesting
statistic in itself, has no bearing on how accurate the statistic itself is
unless the fact checking process behind it is rigorous. And we KNOW the
media are far from rigorous at checking facts.

I would sooner expect the media to fabricate statistics than I would the UN.
Surely if anyone is more politicized than the UN it's "news" sources.

Unfortunately, it DOES have
bearing on how believable a statistic is because things that are repeated
tend to be remembered as true by a large fraction of people, who tend not to
think critically.

Wait, it sounds like you're saying a statistic is more likely to be false if
it's remembered by the general public.  That's certainly not so.

Chris