 Off-Topic / Debate / 14115
Re: On the veracity of statistics in general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:42:41 GMT

In the page
Scott recently cited that compared death rates among nations, I suspect that
data was the result of fairly non-rigorous survey.

The page gives a link to an overview of changes in the "WHO World Standard
Population". The depth of overview makes me think that the survey was better
than "non-rigorous". But I am open to challenge on that!

See it here:
http://www-nt.who.int/whosis/statistics/whsa/whsa_table4_asdr_discussion.cfm

This is a cite of some other statistics ("the latest UN assessment for 1998
(UN Population Division, 1998)"), which are not linked to and not presented.
How you see this as rigorous is not clear to me. No evidence of the veracity
of those statistics is given. No discussion of them is given either.

So if you think this sort of page is an example of rigor, or of proof of
validity, I'm not too surprised at your uncritical acceptance of all UN
stats. You apparently are snowed by the use of subordinate clauses and
official sounding words, rather than convinced by careful reading.