 Off-Topic / Debate / 14194
Re: On the veracity of statistics in general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:41:31 GMT

Scott AIn lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Even if you are correct. You have produced a report which suggests that one
statistic may be wrong. Your argument alleges that the UN systematically
produces duff statistics.

As an aside, I don't think I actually said that. I think they're all SUSPECT
but some of them may well be correct.

*Nope*, you said this:
==+==
I have no faith in statistics that are originated by the UN unless
independently corroborated, and that's a blanket statement. The UN apparatus
is highly politicised and tends to produce answers that are politically
correct rather than actually correct.
==+==

Especially the ones that have better
data collection behind them. The statistic that started this strikes me as
being VERY hard to verify independently.

So it seams. The best you can do to support your view is pretty dam poor. I
have supported my view with a multitude of sources. On this, I have come to
think that you  are either stubborn, or plain stupid. Which is it?

I'm not clear how you have reached that
conclusion. Perhaps you could explain?

Well, it seems obvious to me that if they have produced one study that is
bogus, that all their work is suspect.

That's my point exactly.

Read your own post!

I said it was a *hard* thing to go googletrolling for, yet I did
nevertheless find a few examples of wild variances (and posted one of them)
in 10 minutes of searching.

Larry your "examples" were laughable, and you know it.

Maybe that is all there was because I'm an
awesome searcher. But I rather thing I may have been using the wrong search
terms, though, and there are lots more out there but I haven't found them.

Searches at their own (UN orgs such as WHO) sites did not reveal any
writeups of generic methodology or studies of accuracy they carried out on
their data but that does not prove anything other than that the searches I
used didn't find anything.

This sounds like a conspiracy on the part of the new world order. Have you
seen any black helicopters lately? Stop looking for them, and have a look at
this little site:
http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/sd_economic.htm

I am NOT in the "new world order/black helicopters" camp (except when I am
playing Illuminati).

Really?

I don't accuse the UN of coordinated and deliberate
distortion, or some vast conspiracy to take over the world.

Read your own words:

==+==
I have no faith in statistics that are originated by the UN unless
independently corroborated, and that's a blanket statement. The UN apparatus
is highly politicised and tends to produce answers that are politically
correct rather than actually correct.
==+==

To write that that without any firm basis is either very convenient  for
your week argument or utter paranoia.

They aren't that
powerful! Or competent.>

I just doubt their statistical and analysis competence to the point where I
don't think it's likely they are anywhere near close to 100% accurate,

Really. How close then; 99.9%, 90% or 50%? Can you prove that?

Scott A

and I
doubt their motives to the point where I expect individual internal
departments to distort results to further their own ends.

We do that here too you know, as the post starting the thread points out.