 Off-Topic / Debate / 14120
Re: On the veracity of statistics in general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:33:56 GMT

In the page
Scott recently cited that compared death rates among nations, I suspect that
data was the result of fairly non-rigorous survey.

The page gives a link to an overview of changes in the "WHO World Standard
Population". The depth of overview makes me think that the survey was better
than "non-rigorous". But I am open to challenge on that!

Well, it doesn't discuss _at all_ the method of collection.  Without knowing
how data were collected, you can't really judge the rigor.  I was just guessing
because I don't think the UN has the cash to really do that study right.  Other
UN studies that I've seen relied on data reported by individual nations, trust
in is patently fraught with peril.

Chris