 Off-Topic / Debate / 14140
Re: On the veracity of statistics in general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:58:11 GMT

Nope. That suggest that one of the two may be wrong. Not that the UN is wrong.

Both may be wrong:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4265358,00.html

But wait a second. The UN says there are only 70 million landmines:
http://srch1.un.org:80/plweb-cgi/fastweb?state_id=1003513163&view=unsearch&docrank=3&numhitsfound=5976&query=landmines%20Afghanistan%20million&&docid=2235&docdb=pr2000&dbname=web&sorting=BYRELEVANCE&operator=or&TemplateName=predoc.tmpl&setCookie=1

If you check the ICBL site you will see that the measure the size of the
mined areas - not the amount of mines in them. Perhaps you can do better
searching the site?

Scott A