 Off-Topic / Debate / 14125
Re: On the veracity of statistics in general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:10:29 GMT

In the page
Scott recently cited that compared death rates among nations, I suspect that
data was the result of fairly non-rigorous survey.

The page gives a link to an overview of changes in the "WHO World Standard
Population". The depth of overview makes me think that the survey was better
than "non-rigorous". But I am open to challenge on that!

How you see this as rigorous is not clear to me. No evidence of the veracity
of those statistics is given.

Did I say that?

So if you think this sort of page is an example of rigor, or of proof of
validity, I'm not too surprised at your uncritical acceptance of all UN
stats.

Did I say that? You are putting words in my mouth again! My point was that
the fact that they are not just accepting raw data from the countries
mentioned, but are processing the data in some way, suggests to me there is
at least some rigour in the analysis. As Chris alludes, most reasonable
people mostly trust the UN stats as it is an organisation which is under
quite a lot of scrutiny. Do you not think the USA, UK etc would check the
data? You do know they are members of the UN?

No doubt there are those who do question the stats, and I'm happy to listen
to the basis of their argument(1). What is yours? (Saying the UN is the "New
world order" or some other paranoid fantasy will not wash).

You apparently are snowed by the use of subordinate clauses and
official sounding words, rather than convinced by careful reading.

Nope. You are wrong (again).

If you think the UN stats lack rigour. Show us. Its time to put-up or shut-up.

Scott A
(1) - as I did with Chris