 Off-Topic / Debate / 13309
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:38:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:

Not continue our interventionist meddling to do so.

<snip good list of possible alternatives>

So what do we do?  Is it a no win situation?

It may be. Is it *just* to force a democratic election? I'm not sure. Maybe
not. But the will of the general people has been ignored in Afghanistan for
a long time.

Should we have left W. Germany and Japan to just pick up the pieces?
Arguably our nation building there WAS interventionist meddling. But it was
meddling in a conquered country that had initiated aggression against us. I
think that's a bit more justifiable than the run of the mill meddling we
tend to engage in... Support Iran as a bulwark against the USSR, then
support Iraq against Iran, then support Iran against Iraq, etc. etc.

Leaving Iraq to sort things out for themselves after we won in 91 was a big
mistake. The will of the Iraqi people probably was thwarted but we can't be
sure of that, it was never heard.

I have no idea what the right thing to do is but i'd prefer to hear it from
the afghan people than from some other gang of thugs.