 Off-Topic / Debate / 13209
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:45:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:

Not continue our interventionist meddling to do so.

Larry,

Sorry for picking on this one point that in general I agree with.  I just
wanted to get your (and others) opinions on a hypothetical situation.

Lets say the Taliban is evil (I think Larry and I agree that it is) and a clear
connection between them and the terrorists is found to exist.  The consequences
of that could be that they become a target of the war on terrorism.  That means
at some point Afganistan is without a government (no matter how evil a
government is anarchy doesn't do anyone any good either).

What do we do then to avoid interventionist meddling and fix the problem?

Any right that the ruling powers of Afganistan had to accuse us of being
interventionist and meddling have been forfieted by commiting an act of war
against this country.  They may have a problem with our support of Israel, they
may have a problem with our military presence in Saudi Arabia, but killing (or
supporting those who killed) 7,000 of our people is not viable "diplomacy."

Do we just leave Afganistan to figure it out for themselves?  I don't think
thats a good idea.

The burden of this problem shouldn't rest on the shoulders of the U.S. and the
West alone.  The world - including, notably the shirkers amongst us such as
virtually the whole Middle East and in particularRussia need to help Afganistan
become a better place..  America has historically had a small part in the
tangled mess of affairs in that country.  It's time that all of the responsible
parties do their fair share of whatever humanitarian and political work needs to
be done for the innocent people of that country.

Do we let the Northern Alliance have power?  I don't know if thats a good idea
either.

If they are committed to reasonable principles of fair government, then I'd say
yes, that is a viable alternative.

Do we "force" democratic elections on the people?  That might be seen as
forcing our systems on Afganistan.

No, but we can insist that any prerequisites for rulership are a commitment to
honoring human rights.

Do we leave and have a coalition of Arab States pick up the pieces?  Maybe
thats the best idea I don't know but we could look really bad.

Frankly, I think that we *all* should pick up the pieces, for the sake of the
innocent sufferers.

So what do we do?  Is it a no win situation?

Few wars truly are "win" scenarios, even for the victors.

But we need to try.

I agree with that.

Eric Kingsley

james