 Off-Topic / Debate / 13187
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 04:04:18 GMT

* 29% would allow police to randomly search people.

* 49% would mandate special IDs for Arabs in this county -- including
American citizens of Arab descent.

* 33% would make it easier for law enforcement to tap phones and read
mail or e-mail messages.

* 58% would require special security checks for Arabs -- including
American citizens -- before boarding commercial flights.

Holy Toledo.

I would have expected a peak of maybe 30% for the ID question (still
frightening). That poll was done on 14-15 sep, I really hope the percentage has
dropped (a lot) in the last week and a bit.

Man.

That means half the people surveyed support this. Wonder what the percentage of
Arab-americans or Muslims was. And more than half think people with different
ancestory deserve less rights. Sorry if I'm raving a bit. I might just go see
if similar polls have been done here in Australia.

Interestingly, the analysis says 79% think the attacks will make the country
stronger (long term), only 14% think things will get worse (reduced freedom /
prosperity). A large number seem to think reducing freedom (particularly of
Arab-americans) in the short term will lead to a better result in the long
term.

Also found this from Feb 2001:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr010212.asp

In the 2nd last table, it's interesting to see that in Feb., most people
thought there will never be a time when Israel & the Arab nations will be able
to settle their differences. I wonder what the result of a similar poll today
would be.

ROSCO