 Off-Topic / Debate / 13195
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:13:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
From you know who... The poll results scare the JEEPERS out of me.

  That *is* kind of scary.  It should serve as an indication of
  how fundamental the crisis of such thinking is, that groups
  from the far-right *and* the far-left are willing to work
  together with a broad spectrum of groups in between to oppose
  this sort of Fascistic thing.

  Consider the US Islamic population as our mineshaft canary.
  If our government begins to whittle away their civil rights,
  we're on the precipice of doom.

Agreed, agreed...

  I'm also concerned that people
  think this is a *real* war--11 September's attacks were criminal,
  they were murderous and evil, but calling them "war" is a
  measure designed to justify an exaggerated military response
  both internally and externally.

Well I've just come off (or maybe still am in) a huge row with ROSCO about
semantics around "pacifist" (I still don't get what point he is trying to
make) so maybe this is semantics but I am not sure I understand.

Why isn't this a war? Does a war have to be with a country? bin Laden
declared war on *us* explicitly. We had a war with the Barbary Pirates, they
weren't a country.

++Lar

  best

  LFB