 Off-Topic / Debate / 13213
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:56:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:

What do we do then to avoid interventionist meddling and fix the problem?

Any right that the ruling powers of Afganistan had to accuse us of being
interventionist and meddling have been forfieted by commiting an act of war
against this country.  They may have a problem with our support of Israel,
they may have a problem with our military presence in Saudi Arabia, but
killing (or supporting those who killed) 7,000 of our people is not viable
"diplomacy."

While I agree in general, I don't think thats what I was asking.  My main worry
is that the Arab/Islamic nations outside of Afganistan will see this as
meddling in another Islamic nations business and trying to push our ways on
them.  I could care less what the Taliban thinks.

Do we let the Northern Alliance have power?  I don't know if thats a good
idea either.

If they are committed to reasonable principles of fair government, then I'd
say yes, that is a viable alternative.

Thats one big "IF".  Here is a link to show why I don't think the Northern
Alliance is that much better for Afganistan.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/09/25/ret.afghan.opposition.ap/in
dex.html

That might rap... Cut and paste if necessary.

The Northern Alliance seems like an easy ally at the moment but I don't know
that they are the best solution for Afganistan.  The Northern Alliance has
already failed once in ruling Afganistan, most because of infighting.  Who is
to say things would be any better a second time around.

Do we "force" democratic elections on the people?  That might be seen as
forcing our systems on Afganistan.

No, but we can insist that any prerequisites for rulership are a commitment to
honoring human rights.

That sounds to simple to me.  I think any ruler needs more than just a
commitment to human rights.

Do we leave and have a coalition of Arab States pick up the pieces?  Maybe
thats the best idea I don't know but we could look really bad.

Frankly, I think that we *all* should pick up the pieces, for the sake of the
innocent sufferers.

I think you are right but again I think that what you say is not as easy as it
sounds.  This Anti-Terrorism Coalition might be a great thing for bringing
contries to gether.  I think it is going to be much harder to keep together
when the real politicing starts.  Deciding the future of a contry is not
something every contry in the coalition is going to agree on.

I think we need to stay and provide humanitarian aid but the question is aimed
more at setting up a new government.  Is that something we should leave up to
Afganistans regional neighbors and cultural brethren.

So what do we do?  Is it a no win situation?

Few wars truly are "win" scenarios, even for the victors.

I can't disagree with that.  But what is the least damaging solution to get
Afganistan back on their feet where we can come out without damaging (and
hopefully repairing a little) our reputation in the region furthur.

Eric K.