 Off-Topic / Debate / 13216
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:46:36 GMT

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
From you know who... The poll results scare the JEEPERS out of me.

   That *is* kind of scary.  It should serve as an indication of
   how fundamental the crisis of such thinking is, that groups
   from the far-right *and* the far-left are willing to work
   together with a broad spectrum of groups in between to oppose
   this sort of Fascistic thing.

   Consider the US Islamic population as our mineshaft canary.
   If our government begins to whittle away their civil rights,
   we're on the precipice of doom.  I'm also concerned that people
   think this is a *real* war--11 September's attacks were criminal,
   they were murderous and evil, but calling them "war" is a
   measure designed to justify an exaggerated military response
   both internally and externally.

. and I thought I was cynical. I think the "war" is all about GWB
overreacting. The problem is that he has now painted himself into a corner.
Calling this a war, I think, plays right into the hands of whoever did this.
In the UK, the government was careful for a long time to not add to the
credibility of the IRA by saying it was at war with them.

As for the poll quoted above, I really think publicising these results can
be counterproductive. It serves to justify racist and further allow
minorities to feel victimised. That said, I have to say I would have thought
that the "land of the free" would have learned its lesson after the way it
treated Japanese -Americans in WW2.

Scott A