 Off-Topic / Debate / 13316
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 02:26:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:

Not continue our interventionist meddling to do so.

<snip good list of possible alternatives>

So what do we do?  Is it a no win situation?

It may be. Is it *just* to force a democratic election? I'm not sure. Maybe
not. But the will of the general people has been ignored in Afghanistan for
a long time.

Should we have left W. Germany and Japan to just pick up the pieces?
Arguably our nation building there WAS interventionist meddling. But it was
meddling in a conquered country that had initiated aggression against us. I
think that's a bit more justifiable than the run of the mill meddling we
tend to engage in... Support Iran as a bulwark against the USSR, then
support Iraq against Iran, then support Iran against Iraq, etc. etc.

Leaving Iraq to sort things out for themselves after we won in 91 was a big
mistake. The will of the Iraqi people probably was thwarted but we can't be
sure of that, it was never heard.

I have no idea what the right thing to do is but i'd prefer to hear it from
the afghan people than from some other gang of thugs.

I haven't really worked out intervention for myself yet. I think a
certain amount is necessary. Obviously the way to reach a better
understanding is to evaluate the intervention based on first principles.
I think this is where we would find most of our post WWII intervention
to be at fault. We generally didn't uphold our principles in the way we
took sides and action. On the other hand, sometimes I think we did the
right thing. I think kicking Iraq out of Kuwait was the right thing. On
the other hand, I think we did the wrong thing in not completely
prosecuting that war.

One hope I have is that the people of Afghanistan will start to see the
path the Taliban are leading them down. One of those cites you had
suggested that the Afghanis are starting to ignore the Taliban's edicts.
I think perhaps the Taliban is a mixed bag solution. They do seem to
have brought the country to some degree of unity, on the other hand,
they have destroyed so much culture in doing so.

I think it is clear we have to do something about terrorism. We can no
longer sit on the sidelines. Will we have to wage war on countries? I
hope not. I hope the world will start to see the destructiveness of
terrorism. It really doesn't solve anything.

Frank