 Off-Topic / Debate / 13317
Re: Children and Violence
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 02:14:40 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

What, in your mind, is the difference between playing graphically violent >video
games and playing cops'n'robbers or cowboys'n'indians as far as that goes?
Particularly in the latter example, isn't it just celebrating the abuse of
others?  I guess at least you're getting excercize...

This is a great question!

A few days/weeks back Dan J, when asked about Hamas and Hezbollah training
kids with tinfoil wrapped wooden knives to kill Israeli soldiers, responded
that it was the same (or essentially the same) as American kids playing
violent video games.

Is that valid? Is there a difference in kind there somewhere or is it just
degree? I think there IS a difference in kind but can't point to the exact
border point.

One difference I see "in kind" is the "training" aspect of it. When I
played cowboys and indians or whatever as a kid (actually, I think I did
more "allies vs axis" WWII play than cowboys and indians), I was not
being taught by my elders that violence was an acceptable means of
dealing with life.

I'm really not sure where my stance on video games is. We didn't have
such graphic media when I was a kid. Sure, there was violence on TV and
the movies, but violent as Road Runner is, it just isn't real. Of course
I also didn't watch very much TV as a kid. When I was very young, we
were allowed either half an hour or an hour of TV a day, though as I
remember it, it was acceptable to watch a sibling's share of TV.
Instead, we were encouraged to read (our library had a summer program
where you read something like 6 or 8 books [no, 10, I just found the
"evidence" in my scrapbook] and wrote a little one or two paragraph
report on each, and then got a gold star or something when you finished,
one summer I read 30 books - I think the interesting thing about that
program was that it set a modest goal, but didn't let that goal stop a
child who was much more committed). These days, I watch almost no TV and
hardly go to movies.

I personally find video games relatively unsatisfying. Of course I don't
have the patience to develop the reflexes to do well at them (for
example I enjoyed Lemmings until the need for reflexes dominated the
puzzle solving skills). I also find them a huge suck on time and not
very interactive. I also have never been much of a fan of
competitiveness (which is what won me over to role playing games - what
a neat concept, a game which develops cooperation, even between the
players and the GM).

For the record we have had a policy of no toy guns or knives in our house,
although it has had some leakage (the LEGO(r) Pirates have guns and
cutlasses, as do the Wild West guys and the Ninjas, etc.), it has held
fairly well. But we had some other leakage with video games. We don't have
Doom or Quake but we DO have Super Smash Brothers (it was bought without my
knowledge or approval but I haven't had the heart (or willpower?) to take it
away) on the n64...

I think it worked pretty well as a policy but my kids still do beat on each
other.

I'm pretty ambivalent about toy weapons. I always had them, and played
various games all through my childhood. I got into war games quite
early, probably before 5th grade (I remember sometime before 6th grade
playing "little wars" with my dad, and I had Avalon Hill's Tactics II
before that). Of course all of this war play developed into a deep
interest in the history of war and probably a much greater appreciation
for the enormity of war than someone not so closely exposed to it.

I think what is more important is to look at how the child is playing.
If the violence is mostly just in the roughhousing category, or doesn't
seem to intense or directed inappropriately (not that I know how to
define that, but I think I know it when I see it), then I think it is
best to let it go. If it seems out of hand, then it may be time for a
talk with the child to try and find out what the real issue is.

Just my thoughts
Frank