 Off-Topic / Debate / 13314
Re: Children and Violence
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:27:29 GMT

What, in your mind, is the difference between playing graphically violent >video
games and playing cops'n'robbers or cowboys'n'indians as far as that goes?
Particularly in the latter example, isn't it just celebrating the abuse of
others?  I guess at least you're getting excercize...

This is a great question!

A few days/weeks back Dan J, when asked about Hamas and Hezbollah training
kids with tinfoil wrapped wooden knives to kill Israeli soldiers, responded
that it was the same (or essentially the same) as American kids playing
violent video games.

Is that valid? Is there a difference in kind there somewhere or is it just
degree? I think there IS a difference in kind but can't point to the exact
border point.

For the record we have had a policy of no toy guns or knives in our house,
although it has had some leakage (the LEGO(r) Pirates have guns and
cutlasses, as do the Wild West guys and the Ninjas, etc.), it has held
fairly well. But we had some other leakage with video games. We don't have
Doom or Quake but we DO have Super Smash Brothers (it was bought without my
knowledge or approval but I haven't had the heart (or willpower?) to take it
away) on the n64...

I think it worked pretty well as a policy but my kids still do beat on each
other.