 Off-Topic / Debate / 13310
Re: Children and Violence
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:28:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

Perhaps, but I'm not ready to take away the plastic outlet covers.
Risk of electrocution is NOT something children need to be exposed
to in order to build a sense of autonomy (nor is risk of injury in
car accidents because they are not in proper car seats).  And in
these cases we created the risks of electricity and automobiles, so
I think we have the responsibility to offer our children protection
from them.  Also, in the past people had a lot more children than
they do today, and the odds of making it to adulthood were
substantially lower-- in this area I think we have progressed.

For the record, I used outlet covers when my son was little and I imagine that
I'll use them with the next one (due in only ten weeks!).  And we have very
high quality car seats -- the best that were available when we did our
research, and installation checked by state safety officials.  (By the way,
many auto insurance policies will give a big rebate on carseats, so call them
and find out, if you're shopping for one.)

But there are less clear examples.  You can get plastic corner protectors and
buffer every corner in the house, including: walls, tables, counters, drawers,
stairs, etc.  Even bicycle helmets are less clearly good in my mind.  Most kids
when I was young rode bikes without helmets.  Most of us crashed doing daring
and stupid stunts on our bikes.  And most of us didn't end up paralyzed.  Not
just most, but a staggering majority.  I haven't done the cost-benefit
analysis, but I wonder if bike helmets really make sense most of the time.

Children need to be given the props they need to practice dealing
with situations and conflicts they may face in their real lives.  Therefore,
while I am against video games that graphically depict violent acts,
particularly when they are without consequences, I do think it is
counterproductive to shelter kids from the tools they need to develop skills
they need to cope with the world or to simply provide an outlet for impulses
they may have.

What, in your mind, is the difference between playing graphically violent video
games and playing cops'n'robbers or cowboys'n'indians as far as that goes?
Particularly in the latter example, isn't it just celebrating the abuse of
others?  I guess at least you're getting excercize...

I have been reading the Harry Potter books to my kids at bedtime.  We just • read
a scene in which Harry has the opportunity to kill someone he perceives to be
the murderer of his parents.  Harry takes the time to labor over what to do • and
ultimately decides against killing him, even though his decision puts both
Harry and his friends in immediate danger.  Without opportunities to think
through possibilities such as these, both in play and in literature, children
are deprived of a valuable opportunity to develop fully as individuals capable
of thinking and making decisions for themselves.

I agree.  And I think that I don't oppose violent games (video included)
because  it gives the kids a chance to see the world that would exist if
violence was fun.  And they get to see that the world of Doom, Streetfighter,
or Cops'n'Robbers isn't actually pretty.  They can compare it to the world of
learning, love, and building and see that that is the shining light.

Chris