 Off-Topic / Debate / 13312
Re: Children and Violence
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:11:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Chris,

Hi Horst,

I haven't done the cost-benefit analysis, but I wonder if bike
helmets really make sense most of the time.

How can something that potentially saves a life be cost-benefit analyzed?

We do it all the time.  I _could_ quit my job, sell my car and stay home all
the time to avoid the dangers of the road.  But my off-the-cuff cost/benefit
analysis suggests that the potential safety gain is not worth the cost.

In the case of bike helmets, we would have to enumerate, evaluate, and tally
the costs and benefits carefully before we would really know what to do.  And
you and I might evaluate those things differently and thus behave differently.
I won't bother because now, as an adult, I don't want to do anything risky on
my bike, and my wife wants me to wear one as an example for the kid(s), so I
do.  (I guess in my particular case, my wife's response would be a cost.)

Chris