 Off-Topic / Debate / 13313
Re: Children and Violence
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:45:40 GMT

Hi, Chris

I am merely posting my personal experience on the subject "bike-helmets", in
what I think supports your point.
I have had a bike accident in my own (large) garage, and I wasn't using a
helmet. But that would have been no good, since I landed on my chin and
broke my jaw. The doctor said I was lucky (!), and discarded the thought a
helmet could have protected me. In fact, he laughed and said, quote: "Where
did you get that idea from?"
So bike helmets *are* weak as protection - they only protect the *top* of
the head, but if you flip over it you are kind of doomed.
To this date, I still use my bike... but *every single time* I use it there
is either a flat, a loose brake, a loose shift (?) or some other mechanical
part failure - maybe I am just the unlucky type with bikes...  ;-)
To the record, I still don't use helmet. And I live in a place where traffic
laws are made by the heaviest vehicle... the threat is present, but I prefer
to have the fresh wind on my hair, rather than those hot helmets!

And yes, I know this was not *the* point of the whole discussion.

I think that child safety is better assured by the common sense of parents,
rather than laws or warnings (like the ones on coffee machines saying "HOT
coffee!"). SENSE is everything, and it will be something a child will
acquire from parents - therefore, a kid will know how to protect himself
from early age just from looking at *sensible* older people.

Pedro