 Off-Topic / Debate / 13208
Re: Special Identification for Arab Americans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:02:56 GMT

Not continue our interventionist meddling to do so.

Larry,

Sorry for picking on this one point that in general I agree with.  I just
wanted to get your (and others) opinions on a hypothetical situation.

Lets say the Taliban is evil (I think Larry and I agree that it is) and a clear
connection between them and the terrorists is found to exist.  The consequences
of that could be that they become a target of the war on terrorism.  That means
at some point Afganistan is without a government (no matter how evil a
government is anarchy doesn't do anyone any good either).

What do we do then to avoid interventionist meddling and fix the problem?

Do we just leave Afganistan to figure it out for themselves?  I don't think
thats a good idea.

Do we let the Northern Alliance have power?  I don't know if thats a good idea
either.

Do we "force" democratic elections on the people?  That might be seen as
forcing our systems on Afganistan.

Do we leave and have a coalition of Arab States pick up the pieces?  Maybe
thats the best idea I don't know but we could look really bad.

So what do we do?  Is it a no win situation?

But we need to try.

I agree with that.

Eric Kingsley