 Off-Topic / Debate / 10638
Re: what do you think of editorals regarding the environment?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:11:47 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Tom, let me see if I understand your reasoning for suggesting the 90%
female infertility rate.

As Tom pointed out, I was the one who tossed that out originally.  You did the
math right and understand the reason.  If you are controlling a population (of
mamals, at least), the way to do so is to control the female reproduction.
Good and bad people alike have been applying such techniqes to humans and
livestock for thousands of years.  I suspect that the reason polygyny is wildly
more common historically than polyandry is that a single male can fertilize a
staggeringly large number of females, but of course, a female can only be
pregnant one at a time.

A suprisingly effective way to curtail population growth (at least in
iteroparous organisms) is to delay the age of first production.  It's
also a lot nicer than forced sterilization.

-chris