 Off-Topic / Debate / 10633
Re: what do you think of editorals regarding the environment?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 12:30:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
What are you thinking of when you say soon Tom?  I'd give it 30-100 years.

Sounds about right to me, and that's within (hopefully) my lifetime, so I
consider that soon ;-)

Gotcha...soon enough for you to have to deal with it.

What CAN we do about it?

Nothing.

Amending that to be more in line with what I said later, I mean that we _won't_
do anything, not that we couldn't.

that it would be so costly, that we are unwilling to do so.  We will have to
ride it out.  And if it's a big'n then we're just SOL.

Yeah, but that really sucks, doesn't it?

Sure, but what can you do?

I would rather have a plague that wiped
half the planet's population (or left 90% of the women infertile) than a
catastrophe that might wipe us ALL out, or take us below the sustainable
population level.

Sure.  Anyone who you could convince that we're heading for hell would agree
with that I think.  Actually, I used to kind of think it would be better off if
we were extinct, so there are probably others who think that too.

The problem is, we have to recognize a point where saving the planet saves us.
I'm no Greener, but I do know we need to have a sustainable biological system • to
keep US alive longterm (at least without being miserable saps living on all
synthesized food).

If we can even do that, we'll be OK.

Figuring out where "the line" is between
sustainable/non-sustainable before we cross it is the key problem, and humans
are too selfish a species to do so, unfortunately (IMO).

No just selfish, but clueless too.

That's why I'm hoping for folding space to give us other planets to screw up,
giving us more time to come to our senses as a species as a whole ;-)

And even if we don't, probably having lots of worlds to despoil would give us
time to let the ones we've messed up heal so that we can swing back through for
another go 'round.

Chris