 Off-Topic / Debate / 10612
Re: what do you think of editorals regarding the environment?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 12:31:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

WARNING - harsh reality follows, don't read it if you are soft at heart or
can't deal with a little adversity....

:-)

I agree with much of the article, just not the way he stated it.  I am all for
People First.  If you want me to weigh people against a subspecies of some
fish/bird/frog/whatever, people win hands down for me.

But to what extent?  I don't happen to agree with you, but I understand it.
But to what extent?  If a cow or a person, but only one, will survive then you
pick the person.  Fine.  What if the person wants to wipe out a species so that
they can harvest the last of it to make expensive handbags?  Is that equally
kosher?

That being said, I think anyone that has more than 2-3 kids should be
castrated/fixed/whatever.  I DON'T CARE if you have the financial wherewithal
to support more than that, I don't think you have the right to subject the
planet to more than what is needed to keep our species going.  Bank some
sperm/eggs after having 2-3 kids (in case of accidents that kill you, your
kids, or both), and DON'T HAVE ANY MORE.  The Osmonds should be shot ;-) • [snip]
What is scariest is that (in general) the more intelligent the couples
involved, the LESS likely they are to have kids, or have fewer kids.  So over
time, unless we curtail population explosion, the average intelligence of the
planet will continue to decrease (while the average IQ would still be 100, the
actual intelligence level denoted by that 100 will drop - i.e. someone with an
IQ of 100 in 2100AD might test as 80 in 2001AD).  Not what we as a species
should desire.

We as individuals don't.  Our species has no desires.  I don't see these two
views as particularly compatible.  I take the stance that as a bright and
productive member of our species, I have a responsibility to reproduce.  If
you're not part of the solution...

I think the best thing that could happen to Earth right now is a plague that
kills half the population off over a period of a year or so (the survivors
would need time to burn/bury all the bodies for sanitary reasons)

I think it would be as or more effective and easier on our economy if all it
did is render 90% of the women sterile.

And that plague can start in India and China, since they're irresponsible
enough as to have over ONE THIRD of the world population right now.

But their population per se isn't really a problem.  If they were consuming
their share of resources, you would have a valid point.  That plague out to
start in North America since we're the heaviest users of world resources --
regardless of our particular population density.  And it's not as if either
India or China are small places.

There, that ought to wake a few people up ;-)

I doubt it particularly.  It was a cute post, but lots of people feel as you
do.

Don't agree with me?  That's fine, but you won't change my mind on any of the
above.  I'm doing my part, I'm not going to have kids at all.

How can you have a mind that is unchangable?  Why even converse if you can't
grow and you're already perfect?  I sincerely don't get it.

Chris