 Off-Topic / Debate / 10631
Re: what do you think of editorals regarding the environment?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 03:51:47 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

Bottom line, we're heading for a planet wide catastrophe, and SOON, and we
need to

What are you thinking of when you say soon Tom?  I'd give it 30-100 years.

Sounds about right to me, and that's within (hopefully) my lifetime, so I
consider that soon ;-)

do something about it.  So here comes the actual debate part...

What CAN we do about it?

Nothing.

NOW, not in the next couple of centuries?  Is education
"the answer"?

I think that it is ultimately the only solution that can actually address the
problem.  But how do we get there and how do we speed it up?  The answer is
that it would be so costly, that we are unwilling to do so.  We will have to
ride it out.  And if it's a big'n then we're just SOL.

Yeah, but that really sucks, doesn't it?  I would rather have a plague that wiped
half the planet's population (or left 90% of the women infertile) than a
catastrophe that might wipe us ALL out, or take us below the sustainable
population level.

I don't think so.  It is ONE of the answers, but it's going to affect
slow changes, and I don't know if the planet has that much time.  What
else can we do?

What do you think?

I don't seriously think we will choose to save both the planet and
technologically sophisticated human beings unless one of two things happens:
space travel or a Vingean technological singularity that would change all the
rules.

The problem is, we have to recognize a point where saving the planet saves us.
I'm no Greener, but I do know we need to have a sustainable biological system to
keep US alive longterm (at least without being miserable saps living on all
synthesized food).  Figuring out where "the line" is between
sustainable/non-sustainable before we cross it is the key problem, and humans are
too selfish a species to do so, unfortunately (IMO).

That's why I'm hoping for folding space to give us other planets to screw up,
giving us more time to come to our senses as a species as a whole ;-)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/