 Off-Topic / Debate / 10621
Re: what do you think of editorals regarding the environment?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 18:54:47 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

WARNING - harsh reality follows, don't read it if you are soft at heart or
can't deal with a little adversity....

Harsh reality?  What is your reality?...because I can assure you it is
nothing like my reality.

Granted, if you are in a thirdworld country where you may actually need more
kids to simply support the family through growing crops (or jobs, whatever),
you MIGHT have more of an excuse.  But not much.  We are burying our planet in
people, and it's simply not necessary.

Wouldn't it make more sense to advocate better education and push for
programs that create a better way of life in third world countries than
advocate that persons in these countries have more kids to go work in
sweat shops to support the family?  I really don't understand what
you're trying to say here.

I think the best thing that could happen to Earth right now is a plague that
kills half the population off over a period of a year or so (the survivors
would need time to burn/bury all the bodies for sanitary reasons)

Great!  We'll start with you!  Have you no regard for the value of human
life!?  The best thing in the word that could happen?  I started out
thinking that the dude who wrote the article was a little quack (on most
of his points)...but you're just plain scaring me.

Then we can pull out all the genetic stores and bring back the species we've
wiped out from overrunning the planet.

What was that about harsh reality?

And that plague can start in India and China, since they're irresponsible
enough as to have over ONE THIRD of the world population right now.

As Mr. Weeks mentioned in an earlier post - you are displaying typical
good-ol american redneck ego.  (Well he didn't say that).....but he did
say, and was right, that North America is the biggest user of  world
resources per capita than other places.

| Timothy Culberson      |
| NB, CA                 |
| http://echofx.itgo.com |