 Off-Topic / Debate / 10620
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 17:01:23 GMT

What I would like to see is the price of car insurance included
in the price of gas.

Not I.  Pay at the pump insurance assume unreal equity of drivers.  For
instance, while an SUV driver should pay more for remidiation of polution,
there is no reason they should pay more for socialized no-fault insurance.

Big, heavy, expensive vehicle - not cheap to repair.  Bad brakes, poor
emergency handling, prone to heavily damaging other vehicles in accidents it
caused.  Not that the proper level of fees can't be handled in other ways.

I'm
happy with insurance being private and being based on actuarial tables.  I was
once a single male under 25 who had 25ish speeding tickets.  Belive me when I
know how "unfair" prices can seem.  But that was my tough nuggy.  Insurance >has to pay for itself.

This either makes a good argument the other way, or means where you live
doesn't pull driver's licenses fast enough.  :-)

Then it would be fairer to the person who drives a
100 miles a month and to the person who spends 30 times that on the
road.

I think the disparity that you're pointing out is already covered.  The person
who drives less gets fewer accidents and tickets and so has lower prices.
Further, as Tom pointed out, the cost that a driver incurs on the insurance
system is more relevant than the amount they drive.

Is driving 10 miles on a wide-open freeway more hazardous than driving 1
mile on cities streets though interesections (where most accidents occur)?
Should I pay more for insurance when I can drive 30,000 miles a year and not
get into any accidents than a guy who drives 8000 miles and gets into two?
It's not the miles that cost the insurance company money.

Can't say that I favor gas tax for insurance.

Bruce