 Off-Topic / Debate / 10607
Re: what do you think of editorals regarding the environment?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 09:22:19 GMT

David Simmons wrote:

What I think about this editorial can't really be described in words
appropriate for this forum, but this guy's constant use of negative
adjectives to describe a group of people concerned about taking action in
situations that don't involve their own selfish needs is a pretty clear
indication that he's not an open-minded individual.  He's probably one of
these ***holes who thinks it's everyone's right to have seventeen children
if they want to, regardless of the economic stress such huge families place
on the dwindling resources on this planet.  If human beings were smart
enough to exercise population control, we wouldn't have to worry about a
jerk-off like this arguing for the continued destruction of old growth
forests just so his thirty-three grandchildren can have a place to live.

The dialogue in The Matrix is classic in this respect, comparing humanity to a
virus...
.
.
.
WARNING - harsh reality follows, don't read it if you are soft at heart or
can't deal with a little adversity....
.
.
.
.
<dons flameproof underwear>
I agree with much of the article, just not the way he stated it.  I am all for
People First.  If you want me to weigh people against a subspecies of some
fish/bird/frog/whatever, people win hands down for me.  Just make sure to get
genetic samples from the species/subspecies in question if the conflict will
truly wipe them out (reason why explained farther below).

<dons flamesuit>
That being said, I think anyone that has more than 2-3 kids should be
castrated/fixed/whatever.  I DON'T CARE if you have the financial wherewithal
to support more than that, I don't think you have the right to subject the
planet to more than what is needed to keep our species going.  Bank some
sperm/eggs after having 2-3 kids (in case of accidents that kill you, your
kids, or both), and DON'T HAVE ANY MORE.  The Osmonds should be shot ;-)

Granted, if you are in a thirdworld country where you may actually need more
kids to simply support the family through growing crops (or jobs, whatever),
you MIGHT have more of an excuse.  But not much.  We are burying our planet in
people, and it's simply not necessary.

<dons heavyduty flamesuit overcoat>
What is scariest is that (in general) the more intelligent the couples
involved, the LESS likely they are to have kids, or have fewer kids.  So over
time, unless we curtail population explosion, the average intelligence of the
planet will continue to decrease (while the average IQ would still be 100, the
actual intelligence level denoted by that 100 will drop - i.e. someone with an
IQ of 100 in 2100AD might test as 80 in 2001AD).  Not what we as a species
should desire.

I think the best thing that could happen to Earth right now is a plague that
kills half the population off over a period of a year or so (the survivors
would need time to burn/bury all the bodies for sanitary reasons) and then
disappears, only to reappear if we're stupid enough to let our planetary
population get so large again.  Something that ONLY kills humans, of course.
(Either that, or someone discovers a way to fold space tomorrow, so we can
emigrate to new planets almost instantaneously, relieving pressure here.)

Then we can pull out all the genetic stores and bring back the species we've
wiped out from overrunning the planet.

<ducks behind the blast shield>
And that plague can start in India and China, since they're irresponsible
enough as to have over ONE THIRD of the world population right now.

There, that ought to wake a few people up ;-)

Don't agree with me?  That's fine, but you won't change my mind on any of the
above.  I'm doing my part, I'm not going to have kids at all.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/