 Off-Topic / Debate / 10639
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:39:39 GMT

Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote:

Public transportation won't truly fully succeed until it is EVERYWHERE.  Until
you can walk out your front door with tons of luggage, hop on a bus within a
block of your door, and connect to all other PT needed, ending up at your
destination within a few hundred feet or less.

Which won't happen anytime in the near future.  One of the biggest
impediments to 'universal' public transportation is that our current
model of suburban development does not lend itself to fast and
convienent transit options.

dropping accident rates, dropping energy waste, dropping
pollution rates, decrease in man-time spent in traffic jams, decrease in
expenditure on *better* highways, *bigger* interstates, *faster* cars...

While I agree with all of this, it's not going to happen any time soon.  We
aren't going to go through a complete shift of thinking in transportation
overnight, it's going to take DECADES.

While I agree that it will probably take decades, why such the
pessimistic attitude (if i'm reading you too deep, I apologize)?

What I would like to see is the price of car insurance included
in the price of gas.  Then it would be fairer to the person who drives a
100 miles a month and to the person who spends 30 times that on the
road.  That would probably require some sort of universal id card
though.

Wow, *cool* idea! That's really smart. But actually, the person who would
actually spend 30 times more time would (on average) also be that much more
experienced, dontcha think? Or... maybe not.

Exactly.  Insurance has little to do with mileage travelled.  It is PART of the
equation, but not a big part.  More important to the ins cos is what demographic
you belong to - that shows your risk (statistically, at least, not on a true
individual basis) more than the miles you drive.  Penalizing good drivers that
happen to drive more miles than bad drivers that drive very little would be
quite unfair.

Your right.  I should have stated this in my original post about this
topic, I wasn't thinking all the way.  So maybe what we need is a base
insurance fee(calculated by risk, etc) and than the gas tax added to
that.

And don't forget that the more expensive fuel is, the more expensive EVERYTHING
becomes.  If you want to jack up fuel costs 50% (or more, for the unrealistic
people out there), you'd better damned well have a decent amount of disposable
income (DI), because that DI will quickly need to be rolled into your normal
budget as the cost of all of your food increases, and everything else too.

Maybe increased fuels costs could also help reduce prices on certain
things if the pattern of consumption/production is altered.  I'm sure it
can be done somehow.

-chris