 Off-Topic / Debate / 10640
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:55:01 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
what does the Libertarian think of the tradegy of the commons?  Is it
addressed?

Yes and no.

The standard Libertarian answer applies well to the standard example...
sheep overgrazing a commons can be remediated by having someone (or a group
of someones) own the formerly common area and controlling how many sheep
graze there.

That's what I thought.

Works fine for resources that are fixed (Grazing lands, timber stands,
etc... as an aside I think a lot of the overgrazing, overlogging and
overirrigating in the US (which is shameful!) is directly caused by the fact
that the land being grazed or logged or the water being used to irrigate is
government owned, and thus the true costs aren't being passed through to the
users. 10 cents a head a day to graze a cow??? I don't think that sounds
like a true cost).

Aren't there corporate lobbies that want grazing (continuing with your
example) prices that low?  I'm not sure you can place all the blame on
the goverment.

But this scenario deals with resources that are mobile. Fish schools just
don't seem all that ownable to me. How are you going to tag them??? And
owning the oceans themselves means that if some owner that the school passes
through lets overfishing happen, it hurts all owners.

I'm still not sure why they should be owned.  I've of the opinion that
nature exists for it's own sake, which makes ownership a dumb, yet
somehow necessary (in our society) idea.  If something has to be 'owned'
why can't if be owned by everyone?  Of course, our public lands are
supposed to be ours, whether that's true or not....

And that's where there's a clear economic value! What is the economic value
of biodiversity? Who "owns" the fact that there are a lot of undiscovered

I thought the answer was that it is uncalculatable.

species still in the amazon? There IS value to that but how do you measure,
assign, track, hold title, etc? Seems silly to even contemplate it.

I don't think so...  that's why I'm still here.

So no, this area isn't as well addressed as other tragedies by Libertarian
orthodoxy, hence my posing the question to others in search of concrete
solutions or suggestions. We got some suggestions which was good, plus the

I wish we could set up some microcosms were we can try these
polictical/economic ideas...

-chris