 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1907 (-20)
  Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

(...) You mean your usual "brand-purist-depart...m-reality" based reply? There's a 99.9% chance that it's printer's ink on those bricks. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 21-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

(...) Classic, just classic. Mark P (URL) (21 years ago, 21-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

(...) Yeah, or maybe they just don't care about brand purity! And I, for one, welcome the attitude of our new corporate overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted builder, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their overground (...) (21 years ago, 21-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

(...) Thanks for sharing! Note that this is a promotion from IBM Canada (given the URL) so maybe they were showing loyalty to a Canadian company and not as worried about IBM US having won a gig with LEGO US ??? Just guessing. (21 years ago, 21-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

(...) Hi Dave - no, no reference at all except to IBM. (...) I don't have ready access to a scanner, but I have now taken a few photos - some I left at the highest res my camera can do. They're at (URL) through ibmbloks4.jpg. Notice how they have (...) (21 years ago, 21-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

(...) IMO, I find bricks (regardless of brand) to be a poor choice for portraying "resilient." Brick models frequently are fragile and some shatter to pieces when dropped. They can be frustrating to rebuild. Hardly "resilient" in my book. Would you (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I'll be looking for your post in 2008. Play well! Mike (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

(...) Is there any reference in the packaging or literature to (URL) Interactive>? A few years ago I won a promotional set on Ebay for Dell computers that was likewise crafted of MEGA BLOKS. Also, is there any way you'd be willing (or able) to scan (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego

A small box arrived in the mail at work today from IBM. Inside was a small package of Mega-Bloks, and just about no explanation as to why they were included, apart from the statement "IBM has what you need to build a Resilient Infrastructure". I (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I've only been buying MegaBloks since 1993, but most of them are holding up quite nicely, thanks. Admittedly, the translucent elements from that period are not too great and are subject to loss of clutch, but I have thousands of green or brown (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) How so? You modified a piece of Lego. You didn't create it. You modified a product already covered by patent. (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Good to see you keep an open mind:0) I can tell the difference between Lego and Clones -any clone- simply from the sound. They sound cheap and they are cheap. In respone to your paint analogy- An artist uses quality products not cheap knock (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I like how you minimize the problems of others. And perhaps I am exaggerating these problems -- but let's not pretend there isn't a problem at all. There really is a problem here and if there wasn't people wouldn't be so defensive about it. If (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Maybe not, but I was feeling left out! Dave! (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I haven't previously commented on the original question you raised, Dave! But since you (indirectly) asked, I have no issue with the form of your original question, did not think it was quibbling, and think the answer that you and others (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Might be useful to ease back on the spin, there. "Quibbling" suggests pointless bickering about minutiae, but I think my question about the charter was legitimate and perfectly in keeping with honest exchange of information. I could have been (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Mega Bloks + Bandai sets

(...) These are actually new moldings. You're correct that the old Wild West sets had a cow skull and vultures, but the new versions are slightly different. They also appeared in the recent Xtreme Sports set (Mountain Challenge, or something like (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

Here are my last thoughts on this subject... In general, I think I've made my points and I don't actually think that anyone has intelligently refuted any of those points. There is a kind of exclusionary, nose in the air, attitude about clones that (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) You have to ask? Maybe you do not visit the index page that ofen.. it clearly says this: "Global community of LEGO enthusiasts LUGNET™ unites LEGO fans worldwide through discussion groups, web pages, and services. As an independent site by (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) heh, the same could be said for those that call people idiots ;) (...) I seriously doubt you can. Maybe it will make you feel better, maybe you can feel like Lego stole your idea - but I disagree 100%. I think its safe to say that part spawned (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact